Assessment, Remediation, and Regulatory Closure for a Worcester Regional Airport Authority
Location: Worcester, MA
Company: Regional Airport Authority
Goal: Eliminate MassDEP Disposal Sites (Areas of Concerns)
Services: Assessment Activities, Method 1, 2 and/or 3 Risk Characterizations, and Remedial Actions which led to Regulatory Closure of Five (5) Areas of Concern
Install NAPL Recovery Well
Tank Farm Area
- Conducted Immediate Response Action (IRA) and Release Abatement Measure activities, including excavation of LNAPL-impacted soil.
- Submitted Class A-2 RAO to MassDEP supported by a Method 3 Risk Characterization (M3RC) which demonstrated that a condition of No Significant Risk to health and the environment had been achieved.
- Conducted IRA to address gasoline release. Included sampling of soil, groundwater, soil gas and indoor air, plus soil excavation, LNAPL and Enhanced Fluid Recovery.
- Submitted a Class A-2 RAO to MassDEP supported by a M3RC which demonstrated that NSR had been achieved.
Glycol Recovery Area
- Conducted Phase I assessment activities which were successful in demonstrating that PAH impacts in soils were attributable to urban fill.
- Submitted a Class B-1 RAO to MassDEP supported by a M3RC which demonstrated that NSR had been achieved.
Hangar 2 Outfall Area
Conducted assessment of a storm drain outfall pipe discharge area which was listed as a disposal site due to the discovery of PAHs in soil and sediment. Submitted a Class B-1 RAO to MassDEP which demonstrated that a condition of NSR to health and the environment had been achieved.