RESPONSE TO ROADWAY SPILL
SPILL CONTAINMENT AT OUTFALL
BOOM PLACEMENT IN SWALE
CLEANUP OF ADSORBENT MEDIA
EXCAVATION IN SWALE
LIVE LOADING OF EXCAVATED MEDIA
CEA provided LSP oversight and coordination of emergency response activities provided by CEA, ENPRO, Clean Harbors and Removal Specialists to address the release of approximately 9,700-gallons of No. 2 fuel oil to a highway drainage swale near Brown Circle and Rumney Marsh. CEA’s efforts led to the achievement of a Class A-2 Response Action Outcome and regulatory closure of the Site.
- CEA coordinated the initial response to a release of approximately 9,700 gallons of into a highway drainage swale and subsequently into Rumney Marsh which is a sensitive environmental area, a salt water wetland, an Area of Critical Environmental Concern and a Protected Open Space.
- CEA coordinated emergency response actions including deployment of absorbent/containment materials to: the storm drain discharge outfall, the impacted wetland areas, and roadway pavement. CEA also coordinated recovery of 19,157 gallons of water and oil from the wetland and storm drain systems utilizing six (6) vacuum trucks.
- CEA provided regulatory notifications, submitted a Notice of Intent to the City of Revere Conservation Commission and conducted assessment of the release to the storm drain and sewer system and initial assessment of impacted media including assessment of soil, groundwater, sediments and surface water.
- CEA conducted excavation of impacted soil in the area located between the paved edge of the breakdown lane of Route 107 and the tidal channel. Prior to the excavation, CEA applied soil erosion controls consisting of hay bales and silt fencing along the edge of the tidal channel adjacent to Route 107.
- CEA conducted field screening of a total of 85 soil samples for total volatile organic vapors using a photoionization and submitted representative post-excavation soil samples for laboratory analysis of volatile petroleum hydrocarbons and extractable petroleum hydrocarbons via MassDEP methods.
- CEA completed a Method 3 Risk Characterization and Stage II Environmental Risk Characterization which led to regulatory closure of the project.